Archive Entertainment has finally announced the official release of its free-to-play retro-style 2D MMORPG – 8BitMMO on Steam.
Robby Zinchak also announced some game updates included in the launch:
- Music from chiptune legends Danimal Cannon, Zef, PROTODOME, and Honin Myo Audio
- Many new buildables, including household goods and many new kinds of blocks
- Laser Turrets
- New weapons, like the Hammer or Laser Rifle
- Achievements & Trading Cards
- The Oven, to allow for transforming items into other items
- New user interface, including improved inventory, quest window, and build tools that more clearly indicate what -build mode you’re in
- Localization into Japanese, German, and Spanish
- Performance enhancements
- An all new megamap to handle the massive size of the world — a player-built space now larger than the combined landmass of the United Kingdom.
- Pocket Universes, your own private universe to build in without having to find a spot on one of the main maps
- Pocket Townstones to allow players to start a town with only gold
- Containers – store objects in a box with various permission levels
- Seasonal events, like CalcMMO or the Easter Egg Hunt
- Mac & Linux builds
- Transponders, a whole new PvE/PvP game mode that rewards smart base building. Can you survive the attack?
And many other smaller updates
Development on 8BitMMO originally began in 2001, when solo indie developer Robby Zinchak began working in his spare time on a sandbox game where all players could help build the world together. The game went through many iterations and several rewrites. Finally, a publicly playable build was ready in June of 2011. It was well received, and later that year Zinchak began working on the title full-time. 8BitMMO continued to be improved as time went on and a community built up around it. It was selected for Steam Early Access and launched there on December 13, 2013.